Advertisement from 1924. Image courtesy of Geoff Tweedale
Listed in 1822, this firm (in Charles Street and Paternoster Row) sold edge tools, particularly joiners’ planes. The founder, Thomas Ibbotson (c.1788-1871), was also a merchant and table knife ‘manufacturer’, who made Bowie knives. He retired in 1859 and died at Alma Vale Cottage, Ecclesall, on 21 January 1871, aged 83. He was buried in Ecclesall, leaving under £3,000. His sons – Thomas (c.1813-1883), William (c.1818-1895), and Peter Frith (1834-1905) – became partners in the firm, which by 1871 employed a hundred workers. In 1905, Ibbotson’s assets were bought by William Marples & Sons Ltd. Gee & Holmes later owned the name.
The company was listed at 16 & 18 Wellington Street in Kelly's Directory of the Engineering, Hardware & Metal Trades, 1934.