This firm first appeared in Sheffield directories in 1907 as a knife, spoon, and fork manufacturer at the Exchange Works, Egerton Street. The senior partner was Samuel Alfred Gregory, who had been born in 1877 and was one of the sons of Samuel Gregory (William Gregory). By 1916, the company had moved to nearby Bishop Street and was concentrating on the manufacture of knives, especially butchers’, skinning, and sticking knives.
After the First World War, Samuel Alfred Gregory remained the senior partner. He lived in Chatfield Road, Norton Woodseats. In about 1926, the business relocated to Balmoral Works, 37 Matilda Street. Advertisements as late as the 1940s stated that Gregory Bros’ products were made from best double shear steel. The firm remained in Matilda Street until the death of Samuel Alfred Gregory, Dalewood Avenue, on 5 November 1960, aged 83. He left £28,858. In 1962, the firm merged with Joseph Fenton & Sons to form Gregory Fenton Ltd at Beehive Works, Milton Street (the former Sykes Works of Fenton). The owner was Brian Trevor Jay. The firm had a forging-hammer trade mark (like William Gregory & Sons), but had adopted the ‘BEEHIVE’ of Marples & Co. In 2013, the name was still registered in Sheffield, but not as a cutlery maker.