Thomas Glossop (1853-1940) was born in Sheffield, the son of Albert Glossop (c.1827-1909) and his first wife (Betsy) Elizabeth. Albert was a razor scale presser, who by 1860 was listed in directories in Sylvester Lane; then later in Cambridge Street. Thomas followed him into the trade and established own business, which by 1881 employed five men and two boys in St Mary’s Road. By 1900, Glossop was listed in St Mary’s Road as a razor scale manufacturer and horn and waste dealer; after 1897, he also operated a retail outlet in Norfolk Market Hall. By 1905, besides this shop, Thomas had moved from St Mary’s Road and had a small factory in Harmer Lane. His home address was Pattsybrooke, Brinkburn Vale Road, in Totley. Albert Glossop, Causeway Head Farm, died on 23 March 1909, aged 82, and was buried in the General Cemetery.
By 1918, Thomas’s sons by wife Mary Walton – William Walton Glossop (1880-1957) and Thomas Albert Glossop (1882-1947) – had joined the business. Eventually, the family concentrated its activity in 8 & 9 Norfolk Market Hall. Directories cite an establishment date of 1829. Trade marks included ‘KNO-KUT’ on its patent safety razors (straight razors with a guard); and ‘VENTURE’ on pocket knives and traditional razors. (‘VENTURE’ was earlier owned by Slater Bros.) The company was listed at Norfolk Market Hall address in Kelly's Directory of the Engineering, Hardware & Metal Trades, 1934; they were listed as table knife manufacturers.
Thomas Glossop died on 25 May 1940, leaving £2,534. His burial was at Dore. His son, Thomas Albert, Glover Road, died on 30 October 1947 at Norfolk Market Hall, leaving £4,853. William Walton ‘Billy’ Glossop operated the business after the War. He died at his home in Grove Road, Totley Rise, on 21 October 1957, aged 77. His obituary described him as one of ‘Sheffield’s most colourful cricketing personalities’, besides working in Norfolk Market Hall for nearly sixty years (Sheffield Telegraph, 23 October 1957). The funeral was at Totley Rise Methodist Church. He left £14,360 to his son William Alfred Duncan Glossop (b. 1924). The firm was incorporated in 1959. William ‘Billy’ Glossop was the last member of the family to run the business. He traded until the 1980s. The firm was dissolved in 1992.