Thomas Amory (bapt.1786-1833), the son of a flax dresser, was apprenticed to knife-maker Samuel Bennet and granted his Freedom in 1812. Thomas manufactured fine penknives in in 14 Arundel Street. He was listed at there manufacturing table knives in A New General Commercial Directory of Sheffield and its Vicinity published in June 1825.
He may have been the ‘Tom Amory’ credited in Leader (1876) as one inventor of ‘frame polishing’ (Benjamin Micklethwaite). He died on 24 April 1833 and was buried in St Paul’s churchyard. He had married Mary Machin (1791-1846). In the Census (1841), his son, John (born in about 1821), was a cutler living in George Street with his widowed mother. In 1845, he married Miss Elizabeth Howard, of Doncaster. John was listed as a spring knife manufacturer in New George Street. In 1861, he told the Census that he employed fifteen men. He occupied the premises of Thomas Hancock & Co at No. 39 Arundel Street and described himself as Hancock’s ‘successor’.
Henceforth, the business apparently contracted, though Amory was still a cutler on his ‘own account’ in 1901, when he lived in Ashland Road. He had retired by 1911. His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1912, aged 85, and was interred in Ecclesall churchyard. John Amory died at Southport in 1917 and was buried on 8 February in the same cemetery. He was aged 96.