The prominent silver and electro-plate firm was led first by John Frederick Fenton (1820-1883). His parents were Frederick Fenton (1797-1871), a silversmith, and his wife Mary (1800-1877). In 1841, Frederick was working in Birmingham as a ‘plater’. By the end of the 1840s, Frederick was living in Broad Street, Sheffield, as landlord of the Tankard & Punchbowl in that road. Mary was described in the Census as an ‘innkeeper’.
John F. Fenton worked briefly for